A user account is necessary to log in to our computer systems. There are different ways to get an account.
All accounts in our CIP-Pool are only valid for the CS department CIP-Pool.
A student account is valid for the time you are enrolled at the university.
- Choose any computer in one of our many rooms
- Login with the username cipan and the password cipan
- You'll be guided through the account creation process
- Your account will be available tomorrow
Details will be provided in one of your first lectures or in a preparatory course. If you need any special assistance or are not a student, please visit one of our consultation hours. Please bring your student ID card and a government-issued photo ID.
Expiration of your Student Account
Your student account expires within half a year after the end of your enrollment. You will be informed about the expiration by a message displayed on each login. Please copy all filesystem data you intend to keep to your home computer.
Your username or login name will be the same as for your IDM account, printed on your student ID card (under "Benutzerkennung"). Filesystem data, email and password are managed separately.
Access to Windows systems
To access our computers running with the Windows operating system, you need to set a separate password. In order to set a Windows password, first obtain a normal (Unix) account as described above, if you don't already have one. Then, when you have logged in to one of our Linux systems, open a terminal window and execute
Staff accounts use a different application process and may be linked to the accounts of certain CS department chairs.
- We will verify the applicant's affiliation by checking the UnivIS entry. Please make sure those are available to us.
- Visit one of our consultation hours with a government-issued photo ID.
- Remember that most people will also need door access for the electronic door lock system.
For short events with users that usually do not need a more permanent account, we can also provide temporary accounts. Please contact us for details.